Re-Frame: Open Call for the 2nd edition of the Debut Film Festival
Last year we had a fantastic experience at Stand129 in Vienna! In 2024 we are expanding our horizons with extra screening days, more invited guests, free filmmaking workshops and… presenting selected films from both this and 1st edition in a special programme in Basque Country (Spain) and Italy.
We are inviting young international filmmakers from the FLINTA* community to submit their debut short films to us. Additionally, we focus on low-budget independent productions (films with a budget of less than EUR 7500) to give space to unconventional stories and artistic approaches to filmmaking.
The selected films for the Viennese edition will be screened in June 2024 at Stand129 on Viktor-Adler-Markt at Stand129. We invite all selected filmmakers to take part in the festival and present their works in person. RE-FRAME provides a limited amount of free housing options for whom it is necessary. Those who are not able to join in person are welcome for a post-screening discussion via Zoom. Additional curated programs will be presented in Club Ricreativo Di Pignolo (Bergamo) and SAMA (Vitoria-Gasteiz).
RE-FRAME is initiated and curated by former and current volunteers of the European Solidarity Corps programme and participants of a Solidarity Project in collaboration with Stand129 and Kulturhaus Brotfabrik. RE-FRAME is co-financed by the European Union.
*The acronym FLINTA stands for women, lesbians, intersex, non-binary, trans and agender people - all those who are patriarchally discriminated against because of their gender identity.
Rules & Terms
- To submit a film, you must own the rights for the film.
- The duration of films must be less than 15 minutes.
- All submitted films must be produced after 2021 and be the debut short film of a director who is no older than 30 years old.
- Every submitted film, including shorts in the English language, must have English subtitles.
- Submissions are accepted only from FLINTA filmmakers (Females, Lesbians, Intersex,
- Non-binary, Transgender, and Asexual).
- The festival application is free of charge.
- The movie budget should not exceed EUR 7500.
- If selected, filmmakers must confirm their participation in the festival program within 72 hours. They should also indicate their preference for participating in the post-screening discussion in person or via Zoom. Should that not happen, the festival reserves the right to change the Judging Status to Not Selected.
- After confirmation, filmmakers must ensure that their film is available for downloading.
- Additionally, selected filmmakers must provide an HQ film poster, movie stills, and a synopsis.
- Filmmakers wishing to be present in Vienna should cover their own travel costs.
- Limited free housing options in Vienna are provided; further details will follow after the selection process.
- If a filmmaker rejects on-site participation without a valid reason, such as illness, after hostel costs have been covered, their project will be excluded from the screening.
- By submitting the movie, you authorise us to use, distribute, and share the film, poster, trailer, synopsis and movie stills on our social media, online and during the festival, if selected.
- There is no competition programme.
- Accepted projection formats: mp4, mov (FullHD, 4K)
- Deadline for submissions is the 1st of May
Application link: filmfreeway.com/RE-FRAME or